Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) is a Virtual Private Network (VPN) protocol that uses a TCP control channel and a Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnel to encapsulate PPP packets.
This article provides a comprehensive configuration example with details on how to create a connection between a PPTP Server and Client, both configured on RUTxxx routers.
Configuring both server and client PPTP tunnel on our devices;
Two RUTxxx routers of any type (except RUT850)
A SIM card with a Public Static or Public Dynamic IP address for the PPTP Server.
An end device (PC, Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone) to configure routers
We can find the topology below;
As shown in the figure above, the configuration we are trying to achieve here is very simple: two RUTxxx Routers - RUT1 and RUT2. One acts as PPTP Server and the other is PPTP Client. They connect to a virtual network via a PPTP Tunnel.
PPTP Server (RUT1);
Log in to the router's WebUI and go to Services → VPN → PPTP. Select Role: Server, enter a name for the new instance and click the “Add” button:
Click the “Edit” button located to the right of the newly created PPTP Server to enter the settings window. Configuration is pretty simple, just remember to enable the instance;
The rest of the parameters are user-preferred, so you should adjust them as you see fit. A brief description of these parameters is given below:
- Local IP defines the virtual IP address of the server
- Remote IP range parameters define the range of virtual IP addresses that will be assigned to connecting clients.
- Username and Password parameters define a customer's authentication credentials
- PPTP Client's IP is used to assign a specific virtual IP to a specific client. It is not required and if left blank the client will be assigned an IP address from the Remote IP range specified above.
- Don't forget to click the Save button after you finish setting these parameters.
PPTP Client (RUT2);
Now let's configure the PPTP Client. Log in to the router's WebUI and go to Services → VPN → PPTP. Select Role: Client, enter a name for the new instance and click the “Add” button: